Friday, February 01, 2008

Antipsychotics and Aggression

Second Thoughts About Antipsychotics for Aggression by Shirley S. Wang

A recent study that found antipsychotics weren’t any better than sugar pills in reducing aggressive behavior among people with low IQs fanned the controversy over the broad use of antipsychotic drugs to treat patients with problems other than psychosis.
It wasn’t that the drugs failed outright. Haldol and Risperdal, both from J&J, reduced aggression in patients by 65% and 58%, respectively. But placebos cut aggressive behavior by 79%, the study published in the Lancet showed.
Before working at a large psychiatric hospital last year, I didn’t realize just how commonly antipsychotics are prescribed for a variety of psychiatric disorders. On one inpatient unit, I heard Eli Lilly’s Zyprexa being prescribed so often for symptoms such as anxiety that I remember feeling surprised when I finally learned that it was an antipsychotic.

3 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Your blog is very good indeed!

I am on Zyprexa, and Christ, don't I know it!

Like many others, I am finding it nigh on impossible to get off, because of the "discontinuation syndrome", which must be great for Eli Lilly's share price.

I tried to email you, at your yahoo account, but it was rejected with the message "This account has been disabled or discontinued [#102]"

Shame cos I would have loved a chat!

Take Care, and Keep up the Good Work!

Rgds,
Sloopy!

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sloopy (like the song?),
Sorry about the yahoo thing. I put the site up (if you are talking about Schizophrenia Sourcebook) and then forgot my password so I cannot update it ;).

I don't know what I could do to help, but I would be happy to chat. A new email is prarie.blossom.books@gmail.com

Diane

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Mark p.s.2 said...

this news article is almost funny. Those in authority want compliance with their rules so issue the antipsychotics to "help" the subjects. Now with this evidence, it is proven nonmedicated react better.

Maybe those in authority like getting angry at their subjects, and want their subjects angry, self fulfilling prophesy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home