Monday, September 17, 2007

Why I Gave Up On Psychiatrists

My first psychic break followed a series of thefts (300 hives were stolen - a yard at a time over three months). I was labelled schizophrenic even though an interview might have led a different authority to consider post traumatic stress, but NO ONE IN THE PSYCH FIELD was interested in my very stressful condition that led to the break. I was given these doses of Haldol on my first nine day stay at the hospital: 170 milligrams; 240 milligrams; 80 milligrams;, 60 milligrams; 60 milligrams; 100 milligrams; 120 milligrams; 120 milligrams; 140 milligrams 60 milligrams. The recommended daily dose of Haloperidal is 6 milligram and experts agree that one should never exceed 30 milligrams.
I had several other "doctors" but none that earned my respect. One told me risperdal regulated only dopamine when I talked about how it affects serotonin also (which I learned from the company literature) and he argued that the Vietnam vets suffered from PTSD because they were not welcomed home when I said it was caused by the trauma of not knowing who was an enemy and who was a friend (hypervigilance or approval of strangers - which do you think is more stressful). Another gave my friend a neuroleptic and Ritalin at the same time (talk about stepping on the gas and the brake at the same time)and she denied that a lady who had strange mouth motions was suffering from a side effect of her psych drug. When I tried to talk about my thefts, she dismissed me and added Paxil to my regime. I wrote up my theory about REM sleep and psychosis but she ignored it also. The only other one I talked to agreed to cut my dose by 1/3 without telling me that one has to taper gradually and I had an attack of mania. I actually don't think they know what the hell they are doing. I AM NOT A SCIENTOLOGIST.

8 Comments:

At 7:00 AM, Blogger Mark p.s.2 said...

I agree 100% with the need for REM sleep, without it your brain can semi-dream during the awake hours , and the semi-dream gets enterpreted as psycosis.

When under heavy stess, who sleeps well?

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger kristinb said...

Wow! I can't believe they put you on that much haldol!!! I get ONE injection of haldol every four weeks, but I only get 25mg. Where in the world did you get this treatment??? I agree that psychiatry done wrong is harmful, but psychiatry done right can be lifesaving.

:) kristin from kristinbell.org

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger liberated psych said...

Hi Kristin: That happened in Dickinson North Dakota. I think that one still runs the psych unit. I still cannot believe the nurses who seemed so nice went along.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

sorry to hear about such a lousy experience. This kind of thing gives the rest of us mental health workers a bad name. BTW-even if you are schizophrenic-that doesn't make you a bad person or someone whose opinions and thoughts don't count.

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger liberated psych said...

Paul: I know I am a good person who always told the truth but you are wrong about anyone respecting the opinion of someone labelled schizophrenic.

 
At 4:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When mental health people say things like even if you are schizophrenic-that doesn't make you a bad person or someone whose opinions and thoughts don't count they actually think they are reassuring you while it always irritated me that they were so patronizing - that is how you talk to a child, not an equal. No wonder people opt out of most programs you people create.

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would anyone trust the judgement of someone so incompetent as to prescribe such massive overdoses? It is almost impossible to remove a misdiagnosis from a record. You have my sympathy.

 
At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saying you are not crazy is proof that you are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home